Crime victims often feel like the forgotten ones during criminal proceedings. They frequently feel as if our system protects the rights of criminals more than those of victims. This does not sit well with me as an attorney. I am doing what I can to fight on behalf of Utah victims through comprehensive victim advocacy services.
The victim advocate’s role throughout the legal process is to:
- provide legal support
- provide appropriate education of the legal system
- provide emotional support for victims and families
- advocate for the rights of victims in every legal proceeding.
As both an attorney and a victim advocate, I take victim’s rights extremely seriously. My number one priority in victim advocacy is to ensure that victims are not swallowed up by the legal system. I represent a full range of crime victims, with a special emphasis on those who have been assaulted, sexually or otherwise.
Know Your Rights
Know that Utah law establishes certain rights for victims and witnesses under Title 77, Chapter 37, Section 3 of the Utah Code. Victim’s rights include, but are not limited to:
- the right to be informed as to the level of protection afforded during legal proceedings
- the right to be informed as to their role in the criminal justice process
- the right to be given clear and understandable explanations of all relevant legal proceedings
- the right to a separate and secure waiting room during legal proceedings
- the right to seek restitution for their losses, including medical expenses
- the right to have all personal property returned following legal proceedings.
I encourage all of my clients to know and understand their rights as victims. The rights listed here represent just a partial list of what Utah law provides. My job as an attorney is to help you understand and exercise your rights so that our system does not victimize you for a second time.
You Deserve Representation
As a crime victim, you deserve representation above and beyond what the prosecutor’s office can offer. You deserve to have an advocate in your corner. I can be that advocate for you. If you have been the victim of any crime – assault or otherwise – please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
You deserve for your rights to be protected. You deserve for your voice to be heard. My victim advocacy services ensure both.